Shape effect, option panel

• @VectorStyler Thanks again ☺ I really need to start saving some presets and styles to keep it all in mind.

• administrators

@Pat About Presets vs Styles:

Presets: are saved globally, available in all documents in the future. Can be saved into preset collections and placed in some user folder, etc. But presets are never "linked", changing the preset will not update their uses. Managed with the Presets panel and Styles->Preset Manager command.

Styles: saved in the current document only, can be exported / imported (also see the new Data Source functionality). Styles are always "linked", after applying on some object, if the style is changed all objects using it are updated.
    This goes for any attribute that allows saving styles.
    Managed with the Styles panel and the Styles->Document Styles command.

• @VectorStyler Thank you again ☺

I seem to remember that with Adobe Illustrator, all one had to do was place a shortcut from another directory, even from another hard disk, in the default directory and you had access to all the stuff (brushes, etc.) one had created. Is it the same with VS (sorry to ask before testing myself).

Also, I'd like to change the size of a complex blended object and I can't find the option to adapt the strokes. They keep their size and all the object's nuances become masked by the strokes.

• administrators

@Pat said in Shape effect, option panel:

I seem to remember that with Adobe Illustrator, all one had to do was place a shortcut from another directory, even from another hard disk, in the default directory and you had access to all the stuff (brushes, etc.) one had created. Is it the same with VS (sorry to ask before testing myself).

Yes, this is the same. In Styles -> Preset Manager click Create Group. Give a name and select a folder. Works for VS preset files only.

Also, I'd like to change the size of a complex blended object and I can't find the option to adapt the strokes. They keep their size and all the object's nuances become masked by the strokes.

Group the blend with its two sources and on the group enable Object Options -> Geometry -> Transformed Stroke.

• @VectorStyler said in Shape effect, option panel:

@Pat About Presets vs Styles:

Presets: are saved globally, available in all documents in the future. Can be saved into preset collections and placed in some user folder, etc. But presets are never "linked", changing the preset will not update their uses. Managed with the Presets panel and Styles->Preset Manager command.

Styles: saved in the current document only, can be exported / imported (also see the new Data Source functionality). Styles are always "linked", after applying on some object, if the style is changed all objects using it are updated.
    This goes for any attribute that allows saving styles.
    Managed with the Styles panel and the Styles->Document Styles command.

@VectorStyler I'd like to create and start using brushes and I see that it's also possible to save them as presets and/or styles. Is this the same concept for brushes? Where are they saved (can I select a specific directory)?
    Many thanks for your feedback

• administrators

I'd like to create and start using brushes and I see that it's also possible to save them as presets and/or styles. Is this the same concept for brushes?

yes, same concept.

Where are they saved (can I select a specific directory)?

Styles are saved only in the document

Presets are saved in the app user folder (similar place as the settings and workspace).
    It is possible to create additional presets folders, in Preset Manager -> Create Group
    Then when saving new presets and giving the name, select the group.

• @VectorStyler Thank you for your invaluable help ☺

Group the blend with its two sources and on the group enable Object Options -> Geometry -> Transformed Stroke.

@VectorStyler Well, it is not ok...

Before:
    0_1701246514625_b.jpg

After [Object Options -> Geometry -> Transformed Stroke]

0_1701246557210_a.jpg

• administrators

@Pat I opened a bug on this one.

Are these stroke styles inside a blend object?

• @VectorStyler yes, it is.
    I've sent you this file before, but I can send it again if you need it.

• administrators

@Pat Please send it again, the version on the screenshot.

• @VectorStyler File sent ☺

• @VectorStyler I don't know if this should be fixed but it is not, and playing with stroke width leads to weird effects.

• administrators

I don't know if this should be fixed but it is not, and playing with stroke width leads to weird effects.

Not yet fixed, but there are issues with replicating.
    In the example, there was a Shape Effect on top of the blend group.
    Shape effects do not scale strokes (by default), but it can be set of "expand" and the "distort" strokes.

I don't know if this should be fixed but it is not, and playing with stroke width leads to weird effects.

In the example, there was a Shape Effect on top of the blend group.
    Shape effects do not scale strokes (by default), but it can be set of "expand" and the "distort" strokes.

@VectorStyler Yes, I also thought that the shape effects could be a problem and I tried without them but it was even worse: the strokes suddenly disappeared and it was impossible to get them back.

• administrators

the strokes suddenly disappeared and it was impossible to get them back.

I will try to replicate this.