Copy & Paste not working (intermittent)

• administrators

@Li-Xiao said in Copy & Paste not working (intermittent):

Another idea is to mark the object you want to move and then select the target layer or object within the layer where you want to move it, either above or below it.

I would vote for this, as it does not require entering names.

• @Li-Xiao said in Copy & Paste not working (intermittent):

Another idea is to mark the object you want to move and then select the target layer or object within the layer where you want to move it, either above or below it.

• mark the object
    • select the target layer
    • select the target object within the layer
    • select above or below

Visual please?

• Just wanted to update this to say that Object Pasteboard is not working for me. I'm trying to paste things between documents. I have a Clipboard viewer open and nothing is copying using either a shortcut or Context menu command even though the Layer panel option is active.

I can a provide video clips if needed.

Edit: Funny enough, the Layers do something CPU-intensive on Copy/Cut, but never quite make it to the Clipboard. So that's interesting.

Edit2: I managed to get RAM usage to grow to memory leak levels by just using Copy/Cut on this one document that happens on every attempt. Each time it grows even larger. Right now sitting at 7Gb+ commit. I'll email the video with the hangs and resource usage.

Edit3: Everything sent to email.

• administrators

@debraspicher I tried to replicate this here on Windows, with the file sent by email. The copying and pasting worked.

The slowdown is caused by the PDF copying, this can be turned off in Settings -> Importing -> Copy PDF.

Try turning of that option, and make sure the Copy as Objects option is on. Let me know if that works.

• @VectorStyler The Copy as PDF is already disabled on my end and Copy as Objects is already enabled.

0_1723643944668_654be54c-59ce-4f7d-9f19-d2c929ef7afd-image.png

• I restarted the program (still 1.2.035) and naturally, Copy & Paste is working again. The copy operation is still taking a while.

Also, checking the SVG portion of the Clipboard data, I've gotten this message. Have never seen this before, so not real sure what it's actually saying (than the obvious). It's hard to know whether is even meaningful except to say the SVG data is substantial (it seems to be). Another dialog like this popped up before this little viewer was hung, so I closed it:

0_1723645871836_e1aacfcb-38ea-46c2-877a-b4c45472681b-image.png

Unfortunately copy and pasting not working is an intermittent issue. There wasn't much "time" in program in terms of working with documents, but I think VS had been open before I started opening new things to try to copy and paste. Thankfully I could get what I needed by using File>Import

Updating to 1.2.036, the long hang still occurs. Disabling "Copy as SVG" shortens that time substantially. I've also noticed that VS' memory management is better. It's possible since it is moving to Clipboard properly now that it isn't "holding" onto that memory anymore. I tried to do multiple copy operations and the memory seems to end up in about the same place each time. Emptying the clipboard drops VS memory back down to about where it was pre-copy...

• administrators

@debraspicher Copy as SVG is also slow.

• administrators

@debraspicher said in Copy & Paste not working (intermittent):

Emptying the clipboard drops VS memory back down to about where it was pre-copy...

I will open a bug on this to find out more. But in this case the drawing contains a lot of images that are exported at full resolution to either SVG or PDF (also for VS objects only).

• @VectorStyler Yeah I'm not surprised that it's slow. The images are saved from a 24MP DSLR, probably at full resolution, but it is still something to report. I don't need SVG copy in most cases, so will turn it off. Would be nice to have a "Copy as>" option instead of the Preferences toggle if that isn't already available, but it's no biggie.

The concerning bits are the inability to copy on occasion and the possible memory issue.

• administrators

@debraspicher said in Copy & Paste not working (intermittent):

The concerning bits are the inability to copy on occasion and the possible memory issue

I will try to replicate these.

• @VectorStyler Let me know if there is anything extra I can do as far as monitoring...