Hyphenation doesn't seem to work

• Hyphenation

• Hyphenation doesn't seem to work.
      Despite that:
    • What is the "Default" hyphenation? US english?
    • Why is hyphenation both a character attribute and also a paragraph attribute?
    • To what extent do these settings relate to each other?

Sounds a bit like the earlier 'dual leading' story. This also applies to 'languange' setting which is related to dictionary for hyphenation. I understand that as with leading, multiple fonts can be used within a paragraph and multiple languages can be used within a paragraph so hyphenation vocabularies differ.

Here too, hyphenation is logically and traditionally a paragraph-related issue (occurs on multiple lines) and it may be better to define this (back-end) as a character attribute. But...

What remains is that a 'dual' setting and an unclear relationship to each other does not make life easier for the user.

Is there any clarity

• administrators

@Ayo The problem can be replicated. Hyphenation works only for English US, but it is missing for other system supported languages. The root cause was found and the fix will be in the next build.

• @VectorStyler

Thank you. That's a reply to my first comment. That leaves me with three unanswered questions.

Anyway, you probably have more to do than deal with difficult users 👍

• administrators

@Ayo said in Hyphenation doesn't seem to work:

That leaves me with three unanswered questions.

Yes, sorry about the late answer, was focusing on replicating the bug 🙂

1. The default hyphenation is either no hyphenation, or whatever hyphenation was defined at "parent" level (hierarchy of style sheets).

2. About the character options repeated in paragraph. Yes, actually all character options can be defined at paragraph level as the default character settings for that paragraph, and then local character overrides are defined for a part.
      This is the same in other drawing and typography apps.

3. The settings in the character options override (if set) the paragraph settings.