How to open existing EPS file.

• Hi!

I'm new and trying VectorStyler as a replacement for AI. I am not a "power user"..lol. I basically used AI in conjunction with Photoshop. I looked around and came up with this program that looks like it will fit my needs.

I am on a Windows 11 PC. I tried dragging an existing EPS file into the main window; it seems as if a layer appeared but there's nothing on the screen other than a white canvas?

Is there a you tube video that would explain some basics so I could get started opening a few files?

Thank you!

• @kristin Welcome to VectorStyler!

After dragging the EPS file into the app's main window, can you see the EPS object
    in the Layers panel? Expand the current layer by clicking the disclosure triangle to see.

You can also switch to outline Mode with Ctrl-Y and see if you can see the outlines of
    the imported object.

EPS files can also be opened from the File menu > Open — you can try that as well.

If the EPS file indeed won't open, you can send it to the developer for testing (csraba
    at this domain).

• I can't see any objects but panel is pretty small; I expanded all and used CTRL-Y. I see nothing on the screen. However, the file has the correct name so it must be open??? I had also tried the File: Open route with the same result.

• @kristin If you can, post the EPS here so we can test importing it.
    If not, send it to the developer at csraba @ vectrostyler.com for testing.

• Ok. In the meantime, I opened a couple of other unrelated eps files with no issue. The file I can't see has vectors on a black background. could that be a problem?

I guess the file is too big to upload here. I will send to the link in your reply.

• @kristin The developer will test it and improve the EPS importer. 👍

• @b77 Thank you for your time!

• @kristin Welcome to Vectorstyler. I use wetransfer.com to upload larger files to the forum or in an email to the developer. You have to sign up for a free account to use it. It spares your inbox the large file attachments and you can email it or copy a custom link to paste in an email or on the forum.

• administrators

@kristin Got the file, it seems to contain an image only when opened in VectorStyler (same if opened with Affinity Designer).
    I attached the resulting screenshot to the email answer.

I will investigate more, what else this file contains that is not imported by VS.

• @Boldline

I have used wetransfer, however, I didn't think of it so, thank you!
    kristin

• @VectorStyler
    Thank you.
    kristin

• @kristin said in How to open existing EPS file.:

I'm new and trying VectorStyler as a replacement for AI. I am not a "power user"..lol. I basically used AI in conjunction with Photoshop. I looked around and came up with this program that looks like it will fit my needs.
    I am on a Windows 11 PC. I tried dragging an existing EPS file into the main window; it seems as if a layer appeared but there's nothing on the screen other than a white canvas?
    Is there a you tube video that would explain some basics so I could get started opening a few files?
    Thank you!

There are a few YouTube videos that can explain the basics of VectorStyler. Here are a few suggestions:

Drawing in VectorStyler for beginners by Fred
    VectorStyler, Can it Design? by Ben Designs
    VectorStyler parametric deformers by Wombatstuffs