Release to Layers (seq.), designed this way?

• Illustrated question about Release to Layers (sequence).
    My only reference for this function is AI that has this function. So I have to compare it to that. I often use this function to import SVG files (QGIS) that have been exported with a 'export layers as groups' option.

Apart from the incorrect naming of groups and layers (I can ignore that) it results in the following observation:
    Groups are not released to but converted to layers. (single) objects as well! No need of! This way a group can turn into a long list of layers if you're not careful. In AI, the groups and objects are not converted but placed in a new group. This is a big difference.
    Question: is it designed this way?

N.B.
    For me now the almost similar function 'Layers from Group' fits my workflow better. So no problem.

I will not consider the Release to Layers (Build) function (also AI). it is a completely different function based on historical build structure. Never use this myself nor tested the VS version.

Suggestion
    These functions could be cleaned up for me. No attempt to clone the AI functions. Just two functions with a self-explanatory name, something like:

1. Layers from Group(s)
      Promotes first level groups into a layer
    2. Group(s) to Layers
      Places first level groups into a new layer

Remove the Release to Layers (Build) function. Does anyone use this?

This issue may be related to:
    https://www.vectorstyler.com/forum/topic/3695/svg-export-issues

0_1699141642907_b290a1e1-ffb9-453b-a2e7-6df553dab803-image.png

• administrators

@Ayo I opened a task on this one. Lets see what is the feedback.