Add the option/alt key modifier to the Repeat action tool

• I don't know if this is feasible or not, but I was thinking about the possibility to add the option/alt key modifier to the Repeat action tool.

Much like we added the same option/alt key modifier to the "flip horizontally" and "flip vertically" in that case, to have it create a copy.

I was thinking the option/alt key modifier in this case would do the opposite of the action it would be repeating. So if I rotated an object 10 degrees to the right, selecting that object or another and using the modifier while clicking it would rotate that object 10 degrees the opposite direction. If the command had been to move an object down, using the modifier would move the object up, etc

0_1701709218922_e78f5ef1-47b2-4d15-b2a4-f23509e89a49-CleanShot 2023-12-04 at 11.59.07.png

• after further thinking, does it make more sense to give the "repeat action tool" the control key for the reverse action idea mentioned above and then to also use the alt/option key for duplication when clicking? This would keep the keys in line with common use knowledge that option/alt is usually used for duplication

• administrators

@Boldline the option/alt has to stay for duplication (expected / standard).

Duplicating before repeat could be possible, but what if the repeated action has already duplication?

Changing the repeated action parameters (for example the rotation degree) is hard to generalize for arbitrary action.

• @VectorStyler I was more interested in the option to perform the reverse action. Are you saying it would be too difficult for VS to find the opposite action from what was initially taken?

If we were still considering adding duplication with the alt/option modifier, if the user had duplication in the action already, it wouldn't make sense they would use the alt/option key for further duplication, so I don't think. this would be an issue. If they chose to do so anyway, could the modifier just be ignored in that case?

• administrators

@Boldline said in Add the option/alt key modifier to the Repeat action tool:

Are you saying it would be too difficult for VS to find the opposite action from what was initially taken?

Yes. The definition of "opposite" is up to the action taken. It is easy for some cases (scaling, moving, rotating), but what about setting stroke width or font size?