Misleading

• It was a long journey to figure out where my dissatisfaction with how vectorstyler uses 'leading' lies. I think my confusion and misunderstanding is due to double use of parameters and incorrect hierarchy and placement. Attached is a proposal for improvement as well as a few sensible extensions.

0_1700236495155_VS Typography-misleading.pdf

• administrators

@Ayo I will add this to the backlog, and try to get as much as possible done from this.

The main issue that the "dual" character / paragraph leading thing will stay in some form.

I like the combined "Text" panel idea.

• @VectorStyler said in Misleading:

I like the combined "Text" panel idea.

Me, too. This way you avoid the character/paragraph issue and it is closer to the experience of the user of a drawing program. This doesn't mean you can't achieve nice text formatting and assign styles to paragraphs.

• administrators

@Ayo A question: if the new Text panel would be included, but the Character and Paragraph also panel kept (with a bit of redesign), would that be a problem?
    Because every other app has a separate Character / Paragraph panel. Of course the user can open whichever he wants.
    It is redundant, but there are a lot of redundancies.

Yes that would be a problem. Then I would blame myself for bringing it up.

You don't have to follow other apps. Vectorstyler is better off if it positively distinguishes itself through a certain degree of individuality.
    But other apps as an example; as I mentioned, the very clean designed Amadine has a text panel as well as the good old Freehand. However, there still is a paragraph panel to house the styles/presets of course.

Less redundancies! But I've argued about that before.

• @Ayo In addition:
    Less redundancies is good for the users mental map of Vectorstyler and also good for less back-end maintenance.
    3x panel + 3x submenu list + 3x panel options panel = 9 items
    1x panel + 1x submenu list + 1x panel options panel = 3 items, Better for you!

• administrators

@Ayo said in Misleading:

Less redundancies is good for the users mental map of Vectorstyler and also good for less back-end maintenance

True, but we cannot do away with redundancies. For example the context panel is a redundancy.

• @Ayo said in Misleading:

You don't have to follow other apps. Vectorstyler is better off if it positively distinguishes itself through a certain degree of individuality.

i think too along this Line 👍

And I always wonder that people want to avoid Adobe at all costs.
    But still want the same Ui and functionality as in Illustrator. 🤔

For example the context panel is a redundancy.

True but the context panel is truly of a different order. It is more of a filter and a control panel for the tool in active use. In addition, it is clearly more of a workflow help rather than a duplication.

The main issue that the "dual" character / paragraph leading thing will stay in some form.

Why?

As long as it's invisible, it's ok for me ☺