Option to save imported file directly to same folder and same file format

• I finally purchased VectorStyler a few weeks ago, and it is already proving to be quite useful in my workflow.

One thing that is a bit of a showstopper, however.

I use PhotoLine as my main image editor. PhotoLine also supports vector editing, albeit not at the level of VectorStyler or Inkscape (obviously).

In PhotoLine is set up an external app connections that allow me to send layers directly to InkScape or Krita. This app link sends the layers/group of layers to the other app in which I can then edit these.

In effect PhotoLine saves to a temporary file as TIFF, SVG, PDF, or PNG that is then sent to the secondary app. PhotoLine keeps track of any file changes to these temp files and automatically reloads the changes.

When I edit and save in Krita or Inkscape these apps will save over the existing temporary file and maintain the original temp file format. (In Krita I do get a TIFF settings dialog, but that is merely one additional key strike).

What is extraordinarily useful about this app link: the link remains live for as long as the file(s) are open in the secondary external app.

This is a live round-tripping workflow that saves me a LOT of hours of work. It's efficient and fast.

Obviously I want this to work with VectorStyler. But that doesn't work, because VectorStyler insists on (1) forgetting about the original folder of the temp file, and (2) insists on saving in its native file format. Exporting also doesn't work.
    Save a copy then? Nope, no luck there either.

VectorStyler insists on picking the Documents folder on Windows when I press SAVE or export. And wants me to save in its native file format. Export isn't workable either: also defaults to Documents and doesn't maintain the original file format either.

Which means my workflow is stunted when working with VectorStyler in tandem with PhotoLine.

My request is simple: please allow for a save function or save option that will save a file that is sent to VectorStyler directly to its original file format and folder.

That's it! 😉

PS this is also handy for those cases where a user would only wish to quickly make a small change to an imported SVG (or other file format) and then save it directly without the need for exporting. Saves a little time.

• administrators

@Bones

VectorStyler insists on picking the Documents folder on Windows

It should default to the folder where the edited file is. I will test this and if its not the case then it is a bug.

Obviously I want this to work with VectorStyler

About imported images: you can keep an imported image linked to its source (any folder) with the Links panel. All imported images are listed in the Links panel, select the image (in the panel) and in the panel menu enable Linked Image Content. Then update the image (panel button row, 5th icon). Now if the image file changes, the image should automatically updated in VS.

Another thing to try is to use "linked" file instead of importing it (File -> Link File).

• Global Moderator

@VectorStyler said in Option to save imported file directly to same folder and same file format:

About imported images: you can keep an imported image linked to its source (any folder) with the Links panel. All imported images are listed in the Links panel, select the image (in the panel) and in the panel menu enable Linked Image Content. Then update the image (panel button row, 5th icon). Now if the image file changes, the image should automatically updated in VS

How does that help him with what he is trying to accomplish?

He is trying to go the other direction - have changes made in VS reflected in the original file that was imported, to allow a round-tripping workflow.

• administrators

@fde101 said in Option to save imported file directly to same folder and same file format:

have changes made in VS reflected in the original file that was imported

In that case, if the file was imported and not opened then first it must be saved to a folder.
    Then probably exported (for compatibility) and then saved again to keep the export option.
    Then when the content is edited in VS, an File -> Export Again needs to be called, as VS can save only into its native format.

• Global Moderator

@VectorStyler said in Option to save imported file directly to same folder and same file format:

Then when the content is edited in VS, an File -> Export Again needs to be called, as VS can save only into its native format.

Yes, and this is what he is asking to have changed.

In Affinity Photo, as an example, there is an option in preferences to let you "open" PSD files instead of importing them (it is off by default) in support of this workflow.

What it is actually doing is importing the PSD but remembering where it came from and what it is, and when you "save" the document, it replaces the original PSD with a newly exported copy instead.

This does mean that you lose anything that the application cannot natively represent in the PSD format (it gets "burned in" / rasterized or lost depending on what specifically it is), and at least in the case of the Affinity apps is much slower than saving in the native format, but it allows for a cleaner round-trip workflow with applications like Capture One, DxO PhotoLab, On1 Photo RAW, etc., where you might be going through sets of photos and selectively opening a few from your catalog in an external application (such as Affinity Photo), wanting the results of your editing to remain in the catalog and not some other arbitrary place on the filesystem.

• administrators

@fde101 said in Option to save imported file directly to same folder and same file format:

What it is actually doing is importing the PSD but remembering where it came from and what it is, and when you "save" the document, it replaces the original PSD with a newly exported copy instead

Yes, but it will lead to loss of information. I will find a solution for this.