Creating and using guideline groups?

• Let's say that I have created an artboard with 4 canvas guidelines. The data of these 4 guidelines can be seen in the guideline panel under "Canvas Guidelines". Now my question: How do I turn these 4 canvas guidelines into artboard guidelines and how do I create an artboard guideline group that I save together with the document or even better with the document preset, so that these guidelines are immediately available when creating a new document? When I click on the + symbols in the guideline panel to create new groups, nothing happens. Only that the field with the guidelines in the panel becomes empty. Do I have to select all 4 guidelines previously?

• administrators

@creative A guideline group can be saved as a preset (panel menu), and then recalled from the presets.

Only a single guideline can be moved (for now) from canvas to artboard, by dragging and holding the Control key.

I will check the other issues, there seems to be some problems still in the panel.

• @VectorStyler Ok, in the drop-down menu of the guideline panel I have "Safe to Preset", "Use from Preset" and "Add from Preset". I can use "Safe to Preset" and give the guideline preset a name. Is this then a guideline group in the sense of the program? Do I then have to call these up individually from the list for each new document without being able to assign these guideline groups only to certain formats? If I have created different guideline groups for a 50x50 document and now create a new 50x70 document, the guidelines for the square will of course not fit, but would still be displayed in the selection list?

Or in other words, can I also automatically assign further presets to a document preset for creating the new document, such as certain guidelines?

• administrators

@creative said in Creating and using guideline groups?:

Is this then a guideline group in the sense of the program?

Yes, the whole group of guidelines are saved as a reusable preset.

Do I then have to call these up individually from the list for each new document without being able to assign these guideline groups only to certain formats?

Yes, this needs to be called up for a new document, but the whole group is added then.

but would still be displayed in the selection list?

Yes, it will be listed in the presets as a choice.

can I also automatically assign further presets to a document preset for creating the new document, such as certain guidelines?

I think what is needed here is document templates. Just set up a new document with guidelines and everything else needed, and then save it and use it as a template with the New Document Setup.

• @VectorStyler said in Creating and using guideline groups?:

I think what is needed here is document templates. Just set up a new document with guidelines and everything else needed, and then save it and use it as a template with the New Document Setup.

Thank you very much, that's probably the best way. With so many great features and functions in VectorStyler, it's easy to lose track.