How do you add a grouping or individual shape to an existing clipping group?

• I get frustrated trying to figure out what I need to do to add a vector grouping to an existing clipping group. Perhaps I am missing an important step and I hope so, but otherwise it's very frustrating trying to accomplish this and I end up avoiding even trying because I don't want to spend ten minutes trying every possible way I can think of.

I like the deep selector and it has its good uses, but I can't figure out how to make it work in this case. thanks

Here is a video of the issue

Here is the file:
    0_1709153884770_clipping group issue.vstyler

• @Boldline Do you mean selecting one of the objects in the clipping group
    should paste the external object inside that clipping group, right?

(I just double-click with the regular Select/Transform tool and paste, btw).

• @b77 said in How do you add a grouping or individual shape to an existing clipping group?:

(I just double-click with the regular Select/Transform tool and paste, btw).

That rarely works for me - here is a video of me trying in vain to use just the Transform tool

UPDATE: playing around with a new example. I have the double-click set to change the transform to the node tool. Could this be affecting my ability to grab a selection that is already clipped? I tried slowing down and if I click once on the main clipping object and then click once on a corner of the shape clipped inside, it works. - it just cant be a fast double click and it only seems to work with the node tool, not the transform tool

• I was able to use the node tool to select the clipped shape inside and then realized I needed to have the anything besides "Draw on Top" because it will never paste anything inside with that setting.

That said, I tried "draw above" and that worked, but when I went to select it again after de-selecting, I can only select it with the node tool, which does not allow for it to be selected as a group in and of itself. So once I place a grouping of objects inside a clipped group, there's no easy way to re-select that interior clipped grouping as a whole.

Here is a link to a new video testing out a new example

In this example, I show that is way too easy to select a clipped object by clicking and dragging the cursor over the area where it's clipped and hidden from view. I know this topic has been brought up before but it causes a lot of issues with creating other selections and inadvertently selecting the unseen part of an existing clipped vector.

Editing a clipped vector inside of a clipping group causes other similar scenarios to go wonky and show and hide their clipped objects at the same time.

Is there an easier way to grab a grouping of object clipped inside?

• administrators

@Boldline You can also drag the shape over the clipping group in the Layers panel and it will place inside.