Tool option: erase up to intersection

• administrators

The segment eraser mode is available in build 194. It can be access from both the eraser tool and the (old) pencil tool.

From the pencil tool:
    enable the Dynamic mode in the context panel (next to the pressure field, from the left side).
    press Shift and then press the mouse to paint over the erased segments.
    When the mouse is released the segments (between intersections) intersecting the mouse trail are erased.

Important: this works for selected paths only. So either the dynamic mode is enabled before the first path is drawn with the pencil tool, or the objects are selected before the pencil tool is activated.
    When the Dynamic mode is enabled, the pencil tool keeps all new shapes selected (in addition to the selection when the tool is activated). This also means that setting stroke attributes or color will change all.
    When the Dynamic mode is disabled, only the most recently drawn shape is selected (classic mode), which means that activating the dynamic mode in this case will not detect intersections with other (not selected) shapes.

• administrators

And:

The segment erasing is also available in the eraser tool. Just press the Shift key and start painting over the erased sections.
    No need to activate a dynamic mode this time.

Observation: when sections of a path are erased (the path is changed) it will try to merge the path with matching open paths.
    This may also result in closed paths.
    This is the default behavior that can be disabled by pressing and holding the Option key, after the erase mode paint has started.

• @vectoradmin This has a lot of potential, but it still is quite buggy. I will get back to this topic to show the issues I run into, as I don't have the time right now.

• Global Moderator

Something else somewhat related that I am noticing is that VectorStyler does not switch to erasing when I use the eraser side of my Wacom pen.

• administrators

@fde101 I will look into this. What is the Wacom model?

• Global Moderator

@vectoradmin

I have an Intuos Pro M.

• I run into some problems when using the erase to intersection option in the pencil tool. At first it seems to work really well when I create the box from 4 overlapping lines. But when I draw a line over the box and try to erase the part of the line inside the box, it erases the whole line instead. When I try again after that, it erases everything...

https://recordit.co/KwldB51vQz

The connecting of close line ends is giving me some trouble too, I have to get used to using the ALT key similtaneously.

But beyond some of these bugs, it is an amazing addition to the toolset, which will also make Vectornator very interesting for comic artists and other artists mainly creating line art. Thank you!

• Just to see what I run into: I get the feel that it stops working properly after a certain time. New intersecting paths are not erased, and sometimes erases parts of other non-connected lines.

https://recordit.co/bqmI6Tk6BN

• administrators

@postdes I added these to the backlog, and will try to replicate.

• administrators

@postdes If there are some example vstyler files of problematic erase cases that you could share by email, it would help a lot. Thanks!

• These were just empty new files. But I will send you one later.

• The problem seems to arise when two paths are combined by erasing its overlapping parts. When I then draw a line over this shape (does not have to be closed) the whole newly created line is erased, instead of only the part up to the intersection. After this happens the tool appears to be broken, and only whole lines, or completely different lines, are erased. Creating a new layer does not change this buggy behaviour. I have to pick the object select tool and delete all paths, then go back to the pencil tool to make it work again. It also sometimes messes up the Undo operation, but I have not been able to always replicate this. See the screenrecording for some of the bugs that occur.

https://recordit.co/6Dt05jyzC4

• administrators

Build 198 fixes the problems caused by automatic merging

• I have done some quick tests and it seems to work as it should! Thanks!

• administrators

@fde101 Switching to the eraser side is solved in build 208

• Global Moderator

@vectoradmin

Yes, that does indeed work now.

Thank you!

However, I am now noticing that when I have the brush tool selected it seems like it is randomly switching back to the pencil tool whenever I move my pen close to the tablet or move it away (basically when the tablet sees a "tool switch" between the pen and presumably my fingers)?

• administrators

@fde101 Is it doing this after using the eraser and moving back to Pencil (and then Bursh), or in any tool use sequence?
    I open a new bug on this one.

• Global Moderator

@vectoradmin

Actually, now that you bring it up, it doesn't seem to be specific to the tool.

Without picking up the pen, I opened a new document in VectorStyler, pressed "b" to switch to the brush tool, then moved the pen over the tablet.

It stayed on the brush.

I then flipped the pen to switch to the eraser, which worked, then flipped it back and was left with the brush.

I pressed "p" to switch to the pen tool.

When I moved the pen away from the tablet, then moved it back, it reverted to the brush tool.

If I then pick the pen up away from the tablet, switch to the pen tool, and move the eraser back to the tablet directly, then it switches to always reverting to the pen tool.

It seems that whatever tool was active when I switch to the eraser gets stuck there when I move the pen back toward or away from the tablet.

• administrators

@fde101 Got it! Can be replicated, fix will be in the next build.

• administrators

@fde101 The Wacom eraser tool use should be fixed in the new build