Open PDF from Excel doesn't work properly

• Here is an Excel-produced PDF which doesn't show cell text/values properly. This is repeatable among several similar documents.Dropbox link

Thanks...

• administrators

Can confirm that this bug exists.
    Will be fixed, but it may take some time.

• No worries...I know you're on it!

Thanks!

• PDF from Excel import now works, with the minor complaint that there seems to be a discrepancy between text string length and column width, especially noticeable at column header labels.

I do realize that this is corner case for a graphics program...

That didn't take hardly any time at all...especially with the holiday. Thanks for the great work!

• administrators

The text size may change if the font is replaced (in this case automatically to "Lucida Grande").
    I'll keep this open, to see if there is a better solution for this font replacement.

• The spreadsheet was built in Excel, using an installed font, on the same computer on which the PDF was exported, and later imported into VS. I'm not clear why a font should need to be substituted, as the original font is locally available.

Also, if a font is substituted, it would be good to be notified of such.

AI, to take an example, throws up a list of missing fonts, and allows substitutes to be chosen from the local fonts list, if I remember correctly. This also affords the user an opportunity to cancel the import, activate the appropriate font if available, and re-start the import.

Thanks for keeping after this.

• administrators

The font substitution notification (and editing) will be added in a future release (not sure yet how difficult is, but there is already such a view when opening VS files).

The reason for trying to substitute fonts that are installed is that the PDF file contains an embedded version of the installed font with a modified name. But I think there is a better solution than the current one. This will also be improved.

• you rock!

• administrators

Better font substitution, and manual font substitution view were added when importing PDF.
    There are still issues around precise positioning of the characters (individual characters in PDF vs editable text). This part will be improved in the future.

• administrators

Text positioning of PDF import is improved. When fonts are replaced in PDF import spacing may be different (due to font metrics).
    In some cases keeping the original (PDF) character positions is desirable (if the new font is close to the original).
    In other cases it may be better to format the text using the new font.
    This can be controlled with the Preferences -> Storage -> Import Text Position checkbox.